Tuesday, April 1, 2008

RETREAT!

When you read the title of today's entry, do not bring to (your) mind a withdrawal of the cavalry in an old black and white "B" movie, or the fleeing armed forces of the British brigade as recounted in some school books. Instead, think of a reunion of a blended group of writers and illustrators whose creativity and abilities are like a wishing-well bucket, overflowing with water. Each year the bucket is pulled from its place of duty and the talent overflowing its rim is more refreshing and revitalizing than the year before.

In shortly over a week from now I will heading to the Pocono Mts. of NE PA to attend a children's writer's and illustrator's retreat. It is held by the Eastern chapter of the SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writer's & Illustrators). It is an event I look forward to each year. The talent,creativity and inspiration that abounds there is contagious. Granted, the Poconos are beautiful; the inn is fabulous and the food, well let's say it is, "plenty, plenty good!" Nevertheless, the scenery, the facility and the meals, are not what provide me with the makings of a rewarding experience. No, it is the writers, the illustrators, the editors, the agents, and those that coordinate the event that give me the inspiration and the fortitude to continue onward in my career. Being an artist and a writer can be, sometimes, a very solitary one. Not that I mind the solitude (actually, I LOVE it) but it is fabulous to share the thoughts, wishes, disappointments and camaraderie for a weekend with those who are not only business acquaintances but also, some that are good friends.

1 comment:

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

Oh Mary, I can't wait to see everyone. And you are so right. This is exactly why writers should seek out the occasional conference or retreat. Not just as a means of networking, but as a way to revive themselves. Rejuvenate. That's my favorite part of these adventures--the way I feel as I head home, back to my little desk in the corner of the basement--recharged, inspired, energized, eager to attack the next page/project.

But also that sense of feeling connected. We have so many creative, good-hearted people who share so much more than their stories. Can't wait!

Blog Archive