Monday, April 7, 2008

Murphy's Law

As I mentioned previously, I am heading to a children's writer's retreat this weekend. I am ready; my manuscripts are copied, my briefcase is filled, I have my illlustrator's display setup ready etc., etc., etc..

I, am an obsessively driven individual and if I am prepared ahead of time-which I always am of course- I need to keep producing until I have used up every second. Here comes the glitch. As I looked over my illustrations that I am taking with me, I thought I would give them a little tweak... Perhaps a shot of sealer to brighten the colors a bit before insertion into my portfolio would be nice. My watercolor style is such that my colors are generally vivid, in contrast to many other artists that prefer the softer, subdued tones. I like my paintings to "pop", especially my children's illustrations so, a quick shot of the ol' finish spray and I'll give it one more layer of vibrancy, right? Can't hurt. Right? Yea, that'll be nice...SSSSSSSssssssssss. Done! Great!

Of course I did a few other things in the meantime; couldn't watch paint-er sealer- dry. I could get twenty minutes of "something" achieved.

When I returned to (ALL!) the paintings I had done to take with me this weekend I gasped out loud and nearly cried. I may have included an explicative-I am not sure since my mind exploded at that moment. Every one of my paintings had dulled with a dried misty look to them!!! It must have been too cold in here, or the can was, or something was! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! What to do now?!?!!?

I yelled for my husband, the man who cannot draw a stick figure or combine his own tie and shirt colors, to "HELP ME!" He suggested that I try to wipe it off with a bit of water..."Water?!" (was he nuts?) "These are WATERCOLORS! If I hit them with water they will all run together and I will have nothing left!" I should've known better than to ask him I, must be the one that is nuts.

He then asked me: if I had alredy sealed them, wouldn't the water be prevented somewhat from getting to the paint, and if, I was very careful of course, shouldn't it be okay?

Huh? What? Hmmm... Perhaps, perhaps, thanks but I need space. Thanks, but I need to think. Thanks, hubby. Time for you to go now.(Poor guy.) Well, if that were so-which it SHOULD be so, if I used an acrylic sealer or something like that, perhaps that would override the dullness and yet not be as threatening as water in its original state...

I have done alot of work with acrylics on various surfaces, and I've fudged alot of processes doing so but, watercolors scare me- I will admit that. It is unforgiving and once you cross the line there is no coming back.

So... I pulled out a quart of polycrylic, held my breath , closed my eyes (honestly- I only peeked to make sure I was on the paper) and went at it. When the last piece was coated, I watched as the paper curled up. I felt it neccessary to leave but I could do no other task...I was, as the saying goes, "sweating bullets". When I returned the colors had "popped" back, the finish was shiny, yet not too shiny, and the more each piece dried, the more they flattened.

Oh HOORAY! It worked! Now, how good it will be for them long term, I don't know and I am sure it not something a purist would do but, it will get me through the weekend and I must admit they look pretty good.

Now however, I have a bit of time left...I must run so that I can paint another one while I wait for Friday!

....................and it wasn't easy but, I noted that my husband was right!

1 comment:

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

Well, Mary, I have to say...my heart stopped for you! I can't imagine the sick panic you felt. I don't know how many times I have done something like that. I won't be bringing any art this weekend, but I also don't have any fresh mss. So it will be a true retreat!

See you there!

Blog Archive