Friday, October 17, 2008

There's a Nip in the Air

I think it has happened...The weather has changed here in central Pennsylvania and I'm fairly sure it means fall is definately on its way. Albeit October, we have had temps here that have reached the lower 70s as recently as yesterday!
I was walking out to our mailbox yesterday with my dog and we could watch the cold front coming toward us over the mountains to our west. It was neat; we stood in the 70 degree sunshine; 5 or so miles away the sky was black and coming towards us rapidly. By the time we walked back to the house and I sat down at the computer, the winds were gusting into the room through the open windows. What had been twenty minutes earlier a lovely breeze, like a baby's warm breath, had become aggressive- like icy long fingers thrashing their way through my house!

Today however the sky is blue and sparkly, the leaves are beautiful shades of red, orange and gold and the air, although chilly, has lost the ominous appearance it presented yesterday.

Yes, autumn has come and...I know that winter will be here soon. The vibrant shades of the leaves will be gone and the barren bones of the trees will will creak from the winds and snow. I will find something then to enjoy, but... today I will look out my window often and smile at the offerings this season has to give.

No comments:

Blog Archive